Every year one million people commit suicide, accounting for 1 to 2 percent of total global mortality. Suicide is a leading cause of premature death, especially among young adults.
- Suicide is usually Preceded by years of suicidal behavior, plans & warnings.
- In about half of suicides, a previous attempt is found in person’s history.
- Male suicide attempts are more violent & first attempts are more likely to end in death.
- Hanging is most common suicide method globally.
- Suicide Rate :
- Male > Female ( China is the only exception with a very high female suicide rate. )
- Elderly > Younger
- Unmarried/ Separated/ Divorced > Married
- Suicides are seen as a disturbance of a relationship between society & individuals.
- Relatives of patients who commit suicide are more likely (30-50%) to commit suicide.
- Family, twin, and adoption studies support a genetic contribution to suicidal behaviour.
- Genes with increased vulnerability :
- Tryptophan Hydroxylase 1 (TPH 1) gene.
- Serotonin Transporter (5HTTLPR) gene.
- Imitation : Learning the use of specific suicide method from a model which is overtly available in culture, community or mass media.
So, we should behave responsibly while talking and discussing about Suicide.
- New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry(2nd edition).
- ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders.
- Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-4