Panic Disorder is diagnosed when a patient experiences recurrent & unexpected attacks of severe anxiety.
- Difficulty in Breathing
- Chest Pain/ Discomfort
- GI discomfort
3. Skin & Systemic Symptoms:
- Chills or feeling flushed
- Derealization/ Depersonalization
- Fear of Losing Control
- Fear of dying
12 month prevalence fo panic disorder = 0.2- 1.1%
Onset is usually in later adolescence & early adulthood.
- Most common comorbid condition is Agoraphobia (fear /anxiety in situations from which escape might be difficult).
- Other common comorbidity is Depressive Disorder. These Patients have a poor prognosis.