Depressive mood & Loss of Interest or pleasure (Anhedonia) are the key symptoms of Depression.
Other symptoms are:
- Low energy
- Decreased activity
- Decreased concentration
- Disturbed sleep/early morning awakening
- Disturbed appetite
- Decreased self esteem
- Decreased self-confidence
- Guilt or worthlessness
- Worse symptoms in the morning
- Psychomotor agitation/retardation
- Decreased Libido.
Types of Depression based on severity:
1. Mild Depression:
Patients with mild depression are functionally normal despite distress.
2. Moderate Depression:
They suffer difficulty in functioning.
3. Severe Depression without Psychotic Symptoms:
Patients with Severe Depression suffer from:
- Loss of self esteem.
- Feeling of worthlessness & guilty
- Suicidal ideation/acts.
4. Sever Depression with Psychotic Symptoms:
This is the most severe type of depressive disorder. Psychotic symptoms (Delusions/ Hallucinations) are seen. It should be differentiated from other Psychotic Illnesses.