- In Schizophrenia, impairment in a variety of cognitive functions are found.
- Patients with Schizophrenia show smaller overall decline in intelligence than in some specific ability areas.
- According to studies, cognitive impairment is not continuously progressive over the entire course of illness. Patients at the time of 1st episode are as impaired as more chronic patients. But In minority of patients especially elderly, cognitive impairment worsen over time.
- Cognitive Impairments are also present in the relatives of patients with Schizophrenia.
- Cognitive Impairment is the single strongest correlate of:
- ➛ Impairments in everyday living skills,
- ➛ Social outcomes &
- ➛ Seeking & maintaing employment or other productive activities.
Treatment of Cognitive Impairment in Schizophrenia :
✯ Typical Antipsychotics:
Typical antipsychotics which are used to treat Schizophrenia, do not wossen cognitive impairment,
but their beneficial effects are very small.
✯ Atypical Antipsychotics:
Atypical antipsychotics have a role in cognitive improvement. But the level of improvement does not come close to normalization for most patients.